Key facts on farming in Spain
(Reuters) - Here are key facts on Spain's agricultural sector:
* Spain produces more olive oil than Italy, exports more wine than France and its organic fruit and vegetables are fast gaining ground in northern Europe.
* Spain is number two in Europe and eighth in the world in area dedicated to ecological crops, according to the agriculture ministry. But an estimated 80 percent of its production is exported, mostly to Germany, the Netherlands, France and Britain.
* Organic produce accounts for only 1 percent of spending on food in Spain. The agriculture ministry launched a campaign in November to boost consumer awareness of organic food.
* Agriculture now accounts for only 2.7 percent of the Spanish economy, down from 4.2 percent 10 years ago, and for 5 percent of the workforce, compared with 8 percent in 1995.
* The average age of Spain's farmers is 55.
* The agriculture ministry estimates Spain will need to devote 1 million hectares (2.5 million acres) to grains and oilseeds to make biofuels, if it is to meet its clean transport fuel targets using home-grown produce.
* Spain's area is 38 percent crop land, 14 percent grazing land and 32 percent forest, the agriculture ministry says.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this