Three U.S. soldiers killed in Iraq's Anbar province
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Three U.S. soldiers were killed in combat on Thursday in Iraq's volatile western Anbar province, the U.S. military said in a statement on Friday.
It gave no details of the incident, but Anbar is the main stronghold of Sunni Arab insurgents fighting U.S. forces and the Shi'ite-led government of Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki. It is the deadliest region in Iraq for American troops.
President Bush is sending some 4,000 more troops to the province to bolster efforts there to crush the unrelenting insurgency.
Thursday's deaths brought to 3,154 the number of American soldiers killed in Iraq since the U.S.-led invasion in 2003. Seventy soldiers have died so far this month.
- Thai PM calls snap election, protesters want power now |
- North Korea says Kim's powerful uncle dismissed for 'criminal acts'
- Protesters fell Lenin statue, tell Ukraine's president 'you're next'
- Storm pushes up U.S. East Coast after deep-freeze in the South
- Venezuela's Maduro to raise pressure on business after local vote
Protesters respond to calls to defend their demonstration from possible police intervention. Slideshow