Director Abrams to resurrect "Star Trek"

Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:43am EST

Director J.J. Abrams arrives at the Children Defense Fund's 16th Annual 'Beat the Odds' Awards in Los Angeles October 12, 2006. After months of speculation, ''Mission: Impossible III'' director Abrams has signed on to shoot the next installment of the ''Star Trek'' feature franchise, sources said late Friday. REUTERS/Max Morse

Director J.J. Abrams arrives at the Children Defense Fund's 16th Annual 'Beat the Odds' Awards in Los Angeles October 12, 2006. After months of speculation, ''Mission: Impossible III'' director Abrams has signed on to shoot the next installment of the ''Star Trek'' feature franchise, sources said late Friday.

Credit: Reuters/Max Morse

Related Topics

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - The Starship Enterprise finally has a new captain.

After months of speculation, "Mission: Impossible III" director J.J. Abrams has signed on to shoot the next installment of the "Star Trek" feature franchise, sources said late Friday.

"Star Trek XI" revolves around a young James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, chronicling their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and their first space mission. The previous film in the series, the 2002 box office bomb, "Star Trek: Nemesis," was directed by Stuart Baird, and starred Patrick Stewart.

Abrams, the prolific co-creator/executive producer of "Lost" and director of last year's "M:I III," has been developing the project through his Paramount-based Bad Robot shingle as a producer and writer.

But Abrams did not commit to directing the project until Friday evening, when the deal was finalized, sources said.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

FILED UNDER:
Comments (0)
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.