Jennifer Hudson wins Oscar for 'Dreamgirls'
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Former "American Idol" contestant Jennifer Hudson won the Oscar for best supporting actress on Sunday for her performance as the spurned lead singer of a female trio in "Dreamgirls."
Hudson's showstopping singing and sympathetic character had made her the odds-on favorite to win the award. It was the 25-year-old's first movie role for which she also picked up Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild awards.
- Putin dissolves state news agency, tightens grip on Russia media
- North Korea says Kim's powerful uncle dismissed for 'criminal acts'
- Thai PM calls snap election, protesters want power now |
- Record cold, ice grip U.S.; more snow to blanket East
- Protesters fell Lenin statue, tell Ukraine's president 'you're next'
Protesters respond to calls to defend their demonstration from possible police intervention. Slideshow