Safeway sees acquisition opportunities
CHICAGO, March 13 (Reuters) - Safeway Inc. (SWY.N), the No. 3 U.S. grocer, could find some acquisition opportunities as the result of consolidation in its industry, Safeway's chief financial officer said on Tuesday.
The comment by Chief Financial Officer Robert Edwards came during a presentation at an analysts' conference.
Recently announced deals in the grocery industry include Whole Foods Market Inc.'s WFMI.O plan to acquire Wild Oats Markets Inc. OATS.O and Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co. Inc.'s GAP.N plan to buy Pathmark Stores Inc. PTMK.O.
((Reporting by Brad Dorfman, editing by Gerald E. McCormick; Reuters Messaging: email@example.com; 312-408-8133)) Keywords: SAFEWAY/
(C) Reuters 2007. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution ofReuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expresslyprohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuterssphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group ofcompanies around the world.nN13440650
- Divided, Scots prepare to vote on fate of the United Kingdom |
- IPhone emerges from 'bygone era', reviewers hail bigger handset
- Fed renews zero rate pledge, but hints at steeper rate hike path |
- Boeing, SpaceX win contracts to build 'space taxis' for NASA
- Islamic State campaign tests Obama's commitment to Mideast allies