95-year-old woman traps thief
BERLIN (Reuters) - A 95-year-old German woman solved a series of mystery thefts in a retirement home when she set a trap, hid in a toilet, and caught the thief red-handed.
"It was a real case of Miss Marple," said a police spokesman in the eastern town of Saalfeld Thursday. "It's good to know there are still courageous old ladies out there."
The elderly sleuth left cash out in her room as bait and then withdrew to the toilet to lie in wait. A cleaner then entered and pocketed the money, unaware she was being watched.
"Then the old lady hit the alarm button in the toilet and staff in the home nabbed the cleaner," the spokesman said.
The cleaner, 36, later confessed to police she was responsible for other thefts from the home near the spa resort of Bad Lobenstein.
- Exclusive: Radar data suggests missing Malaysia plane deliberately flown way off course - sources
- Lost Malaysian airliner may have run out of fuel over Indian Ocean : source |
- UPDATE 2-Satellite data shows missing Malaysia plane may have flown thousands of miles-source
- Investigators focus on foul play behind missing Malaysia plane: sources |
- UPDATE 1-Rolls-Royce concurs with Malaysia on missing jet's engine data