FACTBOX-Security developments in Iraq, April 14
April 14 (Reuters) - Following are security developments in Iraq as of 1830 GMT on Saturday:
* denotes new or updated item:
KERBALA - A suicide car bomber killed at least 40 people and wounded scores more at a bus station near a Shi'ite shrine in the holy Iraqi city of Kerbala, police said.
BAGHDAD - A car bomb killed 10 civilians and wounded 15 when it exploded on southern Baghdad's Jadriyah Bridge, police said.
* BAGHDAD - A group linked to al Qaeda said it abducted 20 Iraqi troops and policemen and demanded the release of all Sunni women held in Iraq's prisons, according to a Web statement.
* BAGHDAD - Police found the bodies of 19 people in various parts of Baghdad in the past 24 hours, police said.
* BAGHDAD - Gunmen shot dead a police officer in southwestern Baghdad, police said.
*BAGHDAD - Gunmen opened fire on a police patrol, killing one in southwestern Baghdad, police said.
*BAGHDAD - A roadside bomb exploded in a Baghdad district, killing one civilian and wounding two others, police said.
BAGHDAD - Gunmen attacked the deputy industry minister's convoy and wounded three of his bodyguards in Baghdad's southwestern Jihad neighbourhood, police said. Deputy Minister Mohammed Abdullah was present but unhurt from the attack.
BASRA - British forces killed eight militants laying roadside bombs in Basra on Friday, the British military said.
SUWAYRA - A mortar round killed three Iraqi soldiers and wounded four others when it landed at an Iraqi army post in the town of Suwayra on Friday, a police source said.
BAQUBA - A roadside bomb killed three policemen and wounded eight others when it targeted a police patrol in the city of Baquba, police said.
BAGHDAD - Gunmen attacked the home of top Sunni politician Adnan al-Dulaimi in western Baghdad and wounded six of his guards, Dulaimi's political party said. Dulaimi was not in Iraq at the time of the attack.
*MOSUL - The bodies of four people were found in different districts of Mosul, two of them decapitated, police said.
TAL AFAR - A sniper shot dead a woman in the religiously mixed town of Tal Afar on Friday, police said.
BAGHDAD - A mortar round killed one civilian and wounded another when it hit a building in southern Baghdad's mainly Sunni Saydiya district on Friday, an interior ministry source said.
MUSSAYAB - Gunmen killed a policeman heading to work in the town of Mussayab, about 60 km (40 miles) south of Baghdad, police said.
FALLUJA - The director of the nationality office was killed by gunmen in a drive-by shooting in Falluja, police said. His eight-year-old boy was seriously wounded.
BAIJI - A suicide car bomber killed five Iraqi soldiers and wounded four others when he detonated his explosives at a checkpoint in the northern town of Baiji, police said.
KIRKUK - A bomb killed four militants when it apparently exploded prematurely in their car in the northern city of Kirkuk, 250 km (155 miles) north of Baghdad, police said.
BAGHDAD - A roadside bomb killed one person and wounded four when it exploded in central Baghdad's Sheikh Omar neighbourhood, police said.
MADAEN - A roadside bomb killed one civilian and wounded nine others when it blew up in the town of Madaen, just south of Baghdad, police said.
- Nurse defies Ebola quarantine with bike ride; negotiations fail |
- Pennsylvania sniper held without bail in trooper shooting |
- Global shares jump, yen slumps as BOJ cranks up stimulus |
- Special Report: Tsunami evacuees caught in $30 billion Japan money trap
- Gazprom to resume gas supply after Ukraine pays $2.2 billion