Midway to release PS3 game with John Woo movie
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Midway Games Inc. said on Wednesday it will release an upcoming action game made in collaboration with action film director John Woo in a special version for Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 that includes a high-definition copy of one of Woo's movies.
The collector's edition of Midway's "Stranglehold" will take advantage of Sony's Blu-ray technology that stores about five times more data than regular DVDs, allowing more content to fit on a single disc.
Sony is counting on Blu-ray to help drive sales of the PS3, which faces competition from Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 and Nintendo Co. Ltd.'s Wii.
The special edition of "Stranglehold" will include "Hard Boiled", Woo's 1992 classic film starring Chow Yun-Fat as a Hong Kong detective. Its slow-motion scene of Chow blasting away with a pistol in each hand inspired homages in movies such as "The Matrix" and in video games like "Max Payne."
"Stranglehold" was written as a sequel to "Hard Boiled" and Midway said Woo has been involved in the storyline and reviewing progress of the game's creation. The game is expected to be released for the PS3, PC and Xbox 360 this summer.
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to west coast: source |
- Malaysia air probe finds scant evidence of attack: sources |
- Ukraine forms new defense force, seeks Western help |
- Freescale loss in Malaysia tragedy leads to travel policy questions
- UPDATE 1-Missing Malaysian plane last seen at Strait of Malacca-source