U.S. says 10,000 troops in major offensive in Iraq
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - The U.S. military said it had launched a major offensive against al Qaeda north of the Iraqi capital Baghdad on Tuesday involving around 10,000 soldiers.
It said 22 militants had been killed in the early hours of the offensive, called Operation Arrowhead. The operation was taking place around the city of Baquba in Diyala province, an al Qaeda stronghold.
- Protesters fell Lenin statue, tell Ukraine's president 'you're next'
- Four dead in apparent Connecticut murder-suicide
- South Korea expands air defense zone to partially overlap China's |
- Singer Susan Boyle reveals she has Asperger's syndrome: paper
- Dynasty's Congress party punished in Indian state elections
Nelson Mandela: 1918 - 2013
Reuters looks at the life and times of Nelson Mandela, an icon of peace and reconciliation who came to embody the struggle for justice around the world. Video