U.S. says 10,000 troops in major offensive in Iraq
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - The U.S. military said it had launched a major offensive against al Qaeda north of the Iraqi capital Baghdad on Tuesday involving around 10,000 soldiers.
It said 22 militants had been killed in the early hours of the offensive, called Operation Arrowhead. The operation was taking place around the city of Baquba in Diyala province, an al Qaeda stronghold.
- Police make third arrest in murder of Colorado socialite
- Investigators look for motive in Malaysia plane disappearance |
- Malaysian PM says lost airliner was diverted deliberately |
- Indian Ocean poses daunting challenge in search for missing Malaysia plane
- Malaysia PM says lost plane's movements indicate a deliberate act