Mars Snackfood still using 100 percent cocoa butter
CHICAGO (Reuters) - Mars Snackfood U.S. said on Monday it will continue to use 100 percent cocoa butter for all its U.S. chocolate products.
Mars cited an industry petition to revise current standards in a way that it said would fundamentally redefine chocolate. The proposal could allow manufacturers to call a product chocolate even if it used vegetable oil as a substitute for cocoa butter.
"Changing the definition of what chocolate is would be a mistake. The bottom line is that we're not going to change our chocolate," said Todd Lachman, president of Mars Snackfood US in a statement. Mars Snackfood US is a unit of food company Mars Inc.
- Search for Malaysian plane may extend to Indian Ocean - U.S |
- Russia holds war games near Ukraine; Merkel warns of catastrophe |
- New York City gas explosion subject of federal probe |
- White House tried to mediate dispute between Senate, CIA panel: source
- UPDATE 1-U.S. investigators suspect missing Malaysian plane flew for hours -WSJ