FACTBOX-Security developments in Iraq, Oct 4
Oct 4 (Reuters) - Following are security developments in Iraq at 1600 GMT on Thursday.
* denotes new or updated items.
* TAL AFAR - A suicide car bomber killed three people and wounded 57 in a market in Tal Afar, 420 km (260 miles) northwest of Baghdad, police said. Thirteen of the wounded were in a severe condition, they said.
* BAGHDAD - Eight bodies were discovered across Baghdad in the last 24 hours, police said.
NEAR SAMARRA - Sheikh Muawiya Jebara, a member of the "awakening" council of tribes in Salahuddin Province fighting al Qaeda, was seriously wounded when a roadside bomb exploded near his motorcade near the city of Samarra, 100 km (60 miles) north of Baghdad, Abdullah Jebara, the deputy governor of Salahuddin told Reuters. Three of his guards were killed.
ISKANDARIYA - A roadside bomb killed the mayor of Iskandariya, four of his guards and wounded another in Iskandariya, 40 km (25 miles) south of Baghdad, police said.
BAGHDAD - The Iraqi army killed six insurgents and arrested 57 in the last 24 hours in different parts of Iraq, the Defence Ministry said.
RIYADH - A motorbike bomb wounded one Iraqi soldier when it exploded near his patrol in the town of Riyadh, 60 km (40 miles) south west of Baghdad, police said.
SUWAYRA - Gunmen killed a Sunni tribal leader when they stormed his house in the town of Suwayra, 60 km (40 miles) south of Baghdad on Wednesday, police said.
NEAR KUT - Two gunmen on a motorbike killed a policeman near his house west of Kut, 170 km (105 miles) south east of Baghdad, police said.
BAGHDAD - U.S. forces killed one gunman and detained eight others on Wednesday and Thursday while conducting operations in northern and central Iraq, U.S. military said.
BAGHDAD - A bomb inside a minibus killed one person and wounded two others in a district of Waziriya, northern Baghdad, police said.
BAGHDAD - A parked car bomb killed three people and wounded eight others, in central Baghdad, police said.
BAGHDAD - A roadside bomb killed one person and wounded six others in northern Baghdad, police said.
ZAAFARANIYA - A bomb planted in a car killed four people and wounded eight others queuing for fuel in the district of Zaafaraniya in southern Baghdad, police said.
HILLA - Assailants killed a local official in the city of Hilla, 100 km (60 miles) south of Baghdad on Wednesday, police said.
ISKANDARIYA - Gunmen killed a police brigadier-general in Iskandariya on Wednesday, police said.
ISKANDARIYA - A body was found with gunshot wounds in Iskandariya, police said.
HILLA - A body riddled with bullets was found near a school in the city of Hilla, police said.
- Malaysia says no evidence missing plane flew hours after losing contact |
- Missing jet may have strayed to west, Malaysia military says |
- UPDATE 1-U.S. investigators suspect missing Malaysian plane flew for hours -WSJ
- Malaysia failing credibility test as flight confusion deepens
- NYC buildings explosion kills 6, others missing