FACTBOX-Security developments in Iraq, Oct 10
Oct 10 (Reuters) - Following are security developments in Iraq at 1600 GMT on Wednesday.
* denotes new or updated item.
TIKRIT - Six people were killed and 10 wounded when a car bomb exploded near the convoy of Colonel Jassim Hussein Mohammed, the chief of security of Salahuddin province, in the city of Tikrit, 175 km (110 miles) north of Baghdad, a joint U.S. and Iraqi security centre said.
* ZAAB - A suicide truck bomber killed one Iraqi soldier and wounded five others, including two civilians, in an attack on an Iraqi army base in the town of Zaab, 70 km (45 miles) southwest of Kirkuk, a police official said. Another police official reported seven casualties but no fatalities.
* TAL AFAR - A Katyusha rocket landed on a house in the northern town of Tal Afar, killing five members of the same family and wounding five others, police said.
BAGHDAD - Iraqi soldiers killed 41 suspected insurgents and wounded 89 others during the past 24 hours in different areas of Iraq, the Defence Ministry said.
* BAGHDAD - The U.S. military said it killed 37 militants and captured 25 during a four-day operation targeting al Qaeda in the Diyala River Valley north of Baghdad.
* BAGHDAD - A roadside bomb targeting a U.S. patrol wounded three civilians in the Karrada district of central Baghdad, police said.
* BAGHDAD - A roadside bomb targeting a police patrol wounded two policemen and two civilians in eastern Baghdad, police said.
BAGHDAD - Gunmen opened fire on a minibus, killing one person and wounding six, in the Saidiya district of southern Baghdad, police said.
BAGHDAD - A roadside bomb wounded two people in Baghdad's Karrada district, police said.
BAGHDAD - One civilian was killed and six wounded by a roadside bomb targeting a U.S. patrol in Baghdad's Karrada district, police said.
BAGHDAD - One person was killed and five wounded when gunmen attacked a small bus carrying civil servants in the Bayaa district of southwestern Baghdad, police said.
MOSUL - A member of the Kurdistan Democratic Party and another person were killed when an explosives-rigged minibus targeted a KDP office near the city of Mosul, 390 km (240 miles) north of Baghdad, Mosul's deputy governor Khesro Goran said. Sixteen people were wounded.
DIWANIYA - Gunmen killed two policemen in separate incidents in the city of Diwaniya, 180 km (110 miles) south of Baghdad, police said.
DIWANIYA - Three mortar rounds which landed in and around a girls' primary school in Diwaniya wounded 11 girls, three teachers and a man, police said.
NUMANIYA - Police said they found the body of a 4-year-old boy hanged in the town of Numaniya, 120 km (75 miles) south of Baghdad. The boy was kidnapped three days ago by a gang who asked for a ransom.
BASRA - Gunmen kidnapped Abdul-Razzaq Hashim, the head of Basra International Airport, from his house in the airport compound near Basra, 550 km (340 miles) south of Baghdad, on Tuesday, police said.
BAGHDAD - U.S. forces killed nine suspected insurgents and detained 21 others during operations targeting al Qaeda networks in Baghdad, Mahmudiya, Mosul, Baiji and Samarra on Monday and Tuesday, the U.S. military said.
- Exclusive: Radar data suggests missing Malaysia plane deliberately flown way off course - sources
- Lost passenger jet was diverted deliberately: Malaysian PM |
- Malaysia PM says lost plane's movements indicate a deliberate act
- UPDATE 2-Satellite data shows missing Malaysia plane may have flown thousands of miles-source
- UPDATE 1-Rolls-Royce concurs with Malaysia on missing jet's engine data