PRESS DIGEST - Turkey - Oct 18
ANKARA Oct 18 (Reuters) - These are the leading stories in the Turkish press on Thursday. Reuters has not verified these stories and does not vouch for their accuracy.
- Turkey's headscarved first lady Hayrunnisa Gul appears in the presidential protocol for the first time as Syrain President Bashar al-Assad visits Turkey.
- Giant operatation near Iraqi border. 40,000 Turkish troops are carrying out operations against a group of 150 Kurdish guerrillas near the border.
- The world watches Turkey after parliament approves a motion that authorises the government to send troops to northern Iraq. An American commander says Iraqis will fight back if Turkey launches an attack.
- Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan dismisses U.S. President George W.Bush's warning that an incursion into northern Iraq is not in the interest of Turkey. Erdogan says what Turkish parliament says is more important than others' words.
- Turkish national soccer team disappoint and weaken its chances for going to Euro 2008 finals. Turks played very badly against Greece and lost the match 1-0 on Wednesday night.
- All political parties in parliament vote in solidarity for a motion allowing incursions into Iraq except for pro-Kurdish Democratic Society Party.
- Turkey loses a soccer match against Greece for the first time in history.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this