FACTBOX-Security developments in Iraq, Oct 27
Oct 27 (Reuters) - Following are security developments in Iraq at 1620 GMT on Saturday.
* Denotes new or updated item.
* THARTHAR - Fifteen decomposed bodies have been found by Iraqi security forces searching for al Qaeda fighters in the Tharthar area north of Baghdad, police said.
* MOSUL - Gunmen killed Khalid Fathi, a member of the Iraqi Islamic Party, and three others who tried to retrieve his body in the northern city of Mosul, 390 km (240 miles) north of Baghdad, police said.
BAGHDAD - U.S. forces said they killed two Shi'ite militiamen, including one wearing a suicide vest, during a raid north of Baghdad to capture a rogue leader of cleric Moqtada al-Sadr's Mehdi Army.
SALAHUDDIN PROVINCE - One U.S. soldier was killed by small arms fire during operations in Salahuddin province north of Baghdad, on Thursday, the U.S. military said.
SUWAYRA - Two bodies with gunshot wounds and signs of torture were recoverd from the Tigris River in Suwayra, 60 km (40 miles) south of Baghdad, police said.
KUT - Gunmen killed a policeman in a drive-by shooting in central Kut, 170 km (100 miles) southeast of Baghdad, police said.
- Israel warns of long Gaza war as Palestinian fighters cross border |
- West agrees wider Russia sanctions as Kiev says forces near crash site |
- Court orders Russia to pay $50 billion for seizing Yukos assets |
- Man found dead trapped between elevator and shaft wall in NYC
- Wall Street yawns as deal news offsets data; Herbalife sinks