FACTBOX-Security developments in Iraq, Dec 29
Dec 29 (Reuters) - Following are security developments in Iraq at 1130 GMT on Saturday.
* denotes new or updated item.
* TAL AFAR - Police killed five insurgents and detained five others in a clash in the town of Tal Afar, about 420 km (360 miles) northwest of Baghdad, the town's police chief Ibrahim al-Jubouri told Reuters.
* MOSUL - Nineveh police spokesman, Brigadier-General Saeed Ahmed, was wounded when gunmen opened fire at them as he was conducting a television interview outdoors in the city of Mosul, 390 km (240 miles) north of Baghdad, police said. One of his bodyguards was killed and a second was wounded in the attack.
BAGHDAD - The bodies of three people were found in different areas of Baghdad on Friday, police said.
BAGHDAD - A mortar round killed one person and wounded another in eastern Baghdad's Mashtal neighbourhood on Friday, police said.
BAGHDAD - The U.S. military said its forces detained six suspected 'special groups criminal element members', a term it often uses to refer to rogue Mehdi Army militiamen with ties to Iran, in southern Iraq.
BAGHDAD - U.S. forces killed three insurgents and detained 34 other suspects during operations targeting al Qaeda in central and northern Iraq, the U.S. military said.
SULAIMAN PEK - Gunmen killed one person and wounded two others when they shot at a civilian car on Friday in the town of Sulaiman Pek, 160 km (100 miles) north of Baghdad, police said.
HILLA - Police said they found the decomposed body of a man dumped in an orchard in the city of Hilla, 100 km (60 miles) south of Baghdad.
MOSUL - A car bomb wounded seven people on Friday in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul, police said.
NEAR KIRKUK - A roadside bomb wounded two people when it exploded in a village near the city of Kirkuk, 250 km (155 miles) north of Baghdad, police said.
KIRKUK - A child was killed and two wounded, including one soldier, by a roadside bomb near an Iraqi army checkpoint in Kirkuk on Friday, police said.
- 'Weird Al' Yankovic still trying to wrap head around No. 1 album
- World's oldest joke traced back to 1900 BC
- French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane |
- Crunch time for Gaza truce talks as death toll passes 800 |
- Wreckage of Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people found in Mali |