- IRS official refuses to answer questions at scandal hearing
- Bernanke comments spur volatility, but stocks, dollar gain |
- British opposition leader says Google tax behavior 'wrong'
- Senate panel passes immigration bill; Obama praises move
- Rescuers search Oklahoma tornado town ruins as recovery starts |
Citigroup could write down up to $24 billion: report
NEW YORK |
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Citigroup Inc. could make as much as $24 billion in writedowns and lay off 20,000 workers as part of a plan to cut costs and boost capital, CNBC said on its Website in a report dated Sunday.
The report said the plans will be unveiled on Tuesday, when it reports its fourth-quarter results.
Citigroup is widely expected to report a quarterly loss and announce big lay-offs as it looks to cut costs in a tough business environment.
Many analysts believe Citi will also look to suspend or cut its dividend in a bid to save $10 billion cash a year.
(Reporting by Ritsuko Ando, editing by Will Waterman)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this