Autopsy shows Brad Renfro died of heroin overdose
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actor Brad Renfro, a former child star in films such as "The Client" and "Tom and Huck," died of an accidental overdose of heroin, the Los Angeles coroner's office said in a report on Friday.
Renfro, who was known to have battled drug abuse, was found dead in his Los Angeles home on January 15. He was 25.
No foul play was suspected, the coroner's office spokesman said.
The Tennessee native earned his first leading role in a major movie at age 12 in 1994 legal thriller "The Client," starring Susan Sarandon and Tommy Lee Jones. He subsequently played the role of Huck Finn in "Tom and Huck" based on the popular characters by author Mark Twain.
While he worked on TV and in movies throughout recent years, his life and career were marked more by drug and legal problems than Hollywood roles. As a teenager he was arrested on drug charges in Tennessee and for stealing in Florida.
In 2005, he was arrested for trying to buy heroin during a Los Angeles police sting operation in an area known for buying and selling drugs. He pleaded guilty in February 2006, was ordered into a drug treatment program, and placed on three years probation.
(Editing by Eric Walsh)
- Israel strikes house of Hamas Gaza leader, digs in for long fight |
- West agrees wider Russia sanctions as Kiev says forces near crash site |
- U.S. says Russia violated nuclear treaty, urges immediate talks
- Judge gives go-ahead for $2 billion sale of NBA's Clippers |
- Jaded Argentines brace for looming debt default