Fed cuts discount rate, announces new steps
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Federal Reserve on Sunday lowered the discount rate it charges on direct loans to banks and announced a new facility through it which will lend to other big financial firms.
In a surprise statement, the central bank said it cut the discount rate to 3.25 percent, effective immediately. It also said it was setting up a new lending program under which so-called primary dealers could borrow directly from the Fed at that same rate.
(Reporting by Mark Felsenthal)
- Malaysian PM says lost airliner was diverted deliberately |
- Malaysia PM says lost plane's movements indicate a deliberate act
- Exclusive: Radar data suggests missing Malaysia plane deliberately flown way off course - sources
- UPDATE 2-Satellite data shows missing Malaysia plane may have flown thousands of miles-source
- UPDATE 1-Rolls-Royce concurs with Malaysia on missing jet's engine data