China shot dead 4 in weekend riot in Tibet-Xinhua
BEIJING, March 20 (Reuters) - Chinese police shot dead four protesters in unrest earlier this week in a Tibetan community in the western province of Sichuan, Xinhua news agency reported on Thursday.
Police acted in "self-defence" in the riot in Sichuan's Aba county, the report said.
China says 13 "innocent civilians" were killed in an anti-government riot last week in Tibet's capital Lhasa, but Thursday's report was the first admission of deaths inflicted by its security forces in the wave of unrest across its Tibetan regions. (Reporting by Lindsay Beck)
- Obama and Castro shake hands, Zuma humiliated at Mandela memorial |
- Google bus blocked in San Francisco gentrification protest
- Reporter can keep sources secret in Colorado theater shooting: court
- Couple, four children missing in Nevada found safe in canyon
- Regulators seek to curb Wall St. trades with Volcker rule |