China shot dead 4 in weekend riot in Tibet-Xinhua
BEIJING, March 20 (Reuters) - Chinese police shot dead four protesters in unrest earlier this week in a Tibetan community in the western province of Sichuan, Xinhua news agency reported on Thursday.
Police acted in "self-defence" in the riot in Sichuan's Aba county, the report said.
China says 13 "innocent civilians" were killed in an anti-government riot last week in Tibet's capital Lhasa, but Thursday's report was the first admission of deaths inflicted by its security forces in the wave of unrest across its Tibetan regions. (Reporting by Lindsay Beck)
- With no sign of missing plane, search spreads far across land and sea |
- Malaysia military source says missing jet veered to west |
- Toddler found with heroin at New Jersey daycare center
- UPDATE 1-Missing Malaysian plane last seen at Strait of Malacca-source
- Ukraine appeals to the West as Crimea turns to Russia |