Sanyo buys LCDs from Sharp, eyes appliance ties
TOKYO May 23 (Reuters) - Sanyo Electric Co 6764.T said on Friday it has started buying liquid crystal display panels (LCD) from Sharp Corp (6753.T) for use in its flat TVs sold in North America and that the two firms are considering joint development of kitchen appliances.
Sanyo spokesman Hiroyuki Okamoto said it began procuring panels from Sharp earlier this year for some of its TV sets sold in North America. Sanyo sold about 1 million LCD TVs in North America in the business year that ended on March 31, Okamoto said.
Sanyo and Sharp are also considering joint development of kitchen appliances such as microwave ovens, Okamoto said.
Sanyo announced on Thursday that it returned to the black for the first time in four years, helped by robust sales of rechargeable batteries and digital cameras, and said profit would jump this year on the sale of its cellphone unit. (Reporting by Nathan Layne)
- Exclusive: Radar data suggests missing Malaysia plane deliberately flown way off course - sources
- Investigators focus on foul play behind missing plane: sources |
- Kremlin website hit by 'powerful' cyber attack
- West prepares sanctions as Russia presses on with Crimea takeover |
- UPDATE 1-Rolls-Royce concurs with Malaysia on missing jet's engine data