- Microsoft unveils Xbox One with Spielberg, Activision tie-up
- Whole neighborhoods razed by Oklahoma tornado that killed 24 |
- White House threatens veto of bill to bypass Obama on Keystone
- Russia moves closer to jail terms for offending religion
- UPDATE 1-Regeneron, Sanofi asthma drug seen as potential game changer
Palm to sell Centro smartphone through Verizon: report
NEW YORK |
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Palm Inc PALM.O will sell its $99 Centro smartphone through Verizon Wireless (VZ.N), giving the smartphone maker access to Verizon's 67.2 million subscribers, The Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday.
Palm said it had already sold more than 1 million Centros through Sprint Nextel Corp (S.N), which began selling the Centro last fall, AT&T Inc (T.N) and international carriers, according to the Journal.
The Centro email-enabled mobile phone has been a strong seller for Palm, which has been struggling to keep its share of a smart phone market dominated by Research In Motion's Ltd's RIM.TO Blackberry and Apple's (AAPL.O) iPhone.
Earlier this week, Apple unveiled its latest iPhone, which features a lower price tag that it hopes will further fuel its drive into the market.
In its most recent quarterly results, Palm said the low-priced Centro was off to the strongest start of any smartphone in its history.
That didn't stop it from reporting a quarterly loss on restructuring charges and other items.
(Reporting by Christopher Kaufman; Editing by David Cowell)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this