Matthew Perry developing pilot for Showtime
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Former "Friends" star Matthew Perry will play a talk show host in "The End of Steve," a dark comedy he is developing at Showtime.
The premium cable network has ordered a pilot for the project, which Perry is writing and executive producing with Peter Tolan, the co-creator and executive producer of the FX drama "Rescue Me."
Perry's title character is an egomaniac who is on a reluctant path to redemption.
"This role will show fans that he can be not only funny but also reach to some dark places," said Zack Van Amburg, co-president at Sony Pictures Television, which is producing the pilot for Showtime. "It will be a departure from the way America thinks of Matthew. This is the beginning of a really exciting journey."
Perry is best known for playing the self-effacing wit Chandler Bing on "Friends." His last series regular role was on NBC's "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" during the 2006-07 season.
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to west coast: source |
- Malaysia air probe finds scant evidence of attack: sources |
- Ukraine forms new defense force, seeks Western help |
- UPDATE 1-Missing Malaysian plane last seen at Strait of Malacca-source
- Freescale loss in Malaysia tragedy leads to travel policy questions