Update 1-Georgia to impose martial law, port bombed-official
(adds details on attack, Russian jets shot down claim)
TBILISI, Aug 9 (Reuters) - Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili will declare martial law in a few hours time, the secretary of Georgia's Security Council said early on Saturday.
"The president is going to declare a state of martial law within a few hours," Kakha Lomaia told Reuters. "Russia has bombed the (Black Sea) port of Poti and the military base at Senaki. We think Russia has started to bomb civil and economic infrastructure."
In the port of Poti, the Russian fighter jets hit container tankers and a shipbuilding plant, Georgia's Deputy Economic Development Minister Vato Lezhava told Reuters. He said between 8 and 11 Russian jets were involved in the attack. (Reporting by James Kilner and Margarita Antidze; writing by Conor Sweeney)
- Vice principal of South Korea school in ferry disaster commits suicide |
- After Nevada ranch stand-off, emboldened militias ask: where next?
- All 338 Korean students, teachers rescued from sinking ferry - school official
- Retailer Michaels Stores confirms payment card data breach
- East Ukraine separatists stay put despite diplomatic deal |