McCain calls on Russia to withdraw from Georgia
DES MOINES, Aug 8 (Reuters) -- Republican U.S. Presidential candidate John McCain on Friday urged Russia to immediately withdraw from Georgia and said the United States should call for an emergency United Nations session.
"Russia should immediately and unconditionally cease its military operations, withdraw all forces from the sovereign territory of Georgia," McCain told reporters in Iowa. "The U.S should immediately convene an emergency session of the U.N. security council to call on Russia to reverse course."
(Reporting by Matthew Bigg, editing by Randall Mikkelsen)
- First Ebola victim in Sierra Leone capital on the run
- Amazon's far-reaching ambitions, lack of profits, unnerve investors |
- Russia criticizes EU sanctions, raps U.S. over Ukraine role
- Apple iPhones allow extraction of deep personal data, researcher finds
- Short Gaza truce takes hold; many bodies pulled from rubble |