Russian withdrawal not started: Defense Ministry
MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia's Defense Ministry said on Sunday it had not yet begun withdrawing troops from Georgia's breakaway region of South Ossetia.
"It has not started yet. The question of withdrawal is being considered now and the decision will be taken as the situation in the region is stabilized," said a Russian Defense Ministry spokesman.
A Russian commander in Georgia earlier said on Sunday that Russian forces were starting to pull out of Georgia's breakaway region of South Ossetia and move northwards into Russia.
"What is going on is probably just preparation, not actual withdrawal," said the Defense Ministry spokesman, when asked to comment on these separate reports.
Georgia has demanded the Russian military pull out of Georgia after a ceasefire agreed earlier this week ended a brief war.
(Reporting by Tanya Mosolova, writing by Conor Sweeney; editing by Andrew Dobbie)
- Hong Kong protesters march after fruitless talks with government
- Special Report: Traffickers use abductions, prison ships to feed Asian slave trade
- NOAA employee charged with stealing U.S. dam information
- Sweden gets two new sightings, as hunt for undersea intruder goes on
- U.S. to funnel travelers from Ebola-hit region through five airports