Bungei wins 800 meters for Kenya
BEIJING (Reuters) - Wilfred Bungei of Kenya won the men's Olympic 800 meters gold medal with a dominant front-running performance on Saturday.
He hit the front soon after the bell and drove clear to win in one minute, 44.65 seconds, giving Kenya their first victory in the event since 1992.
Ismail Ahmed Ismail of Sudan took silver and another Kenyan, world champion Alfred Kirwa Yego, claimed the bronze.
The race was wide open after defending champion Yuriy Borzakovskiy of Russia, 2004 silver medalist Mbulaeni Mulaudzi and fancied Sudanese teenager Abubaker Kaki failed to reach the final.
(Editing by Ed Osmond)
- Alabama man gets $1,000 in police settlement, his lawyers get $459,000
- Two killed, four wounded in Washington state school shooting
- Two U.S. states to quarantine health workers returning from Ebola zones |
- NYC police say hatchet attack by Islam convert was terrorism |
- 'We won't pay,' furious Cameron tells EU over surprise bill |