Bungei wins 800 meters for Kenya
BEIJING (Reuters) - Wilfred Bungei of Kenya won the men's Olympic 800 meters gold medal with a dominant front-running performance on Saturday.
He hit the front soon after the bell and drove clear to win in one minute, 44.65 seconds, giving Kenya their first victory in the event since 1992.
Ismail Ahmed Ismail of Sudan took silver and another Kenyan, world champion Alfred Kirwa Yego, claimed the bronze.
The race was wide open after defending champion Yuriy Borzakovskiy of Russia, 2004 silver medalist Mbulaeni Mulaudzi and fancied Sudanese teenager Abubaker Kaki failed to reach the final.
(Editing by Ed Osmond)
- Obama and Castro shake hands, Zuma humiliated at Mandela memorial |
- Google bus blocked in San Francisco gentrification protest
- Thai PM urges protesters to take part in election |
- Reporter allowed to keep sources secret in Colorado theater shooting
- U.S. regulators seek to curb Wall St. trades with Volcker rule