Bungei wins 800 meters for Kenya
BEIJING (Reuters) - Wilfred Bungei of Kenya won the men's Olympic 800 meters gold medal with a dominant front-running performance on Saturday.
He hit the front soon after the bell and drove clear to win in one minute, 44.65 seconds, giving Kenya their first victory in the event since 1992.
Ismail Ahmed Ismail of Sudan took silver and another Kenyan, world champion Alfred Kirwa Yego, claimed the bronze.
The race was wide open after defending champion Yuriy Borzakovskiy of Russia, 2004 silver medalist Mbulaeni Mulaudzi and fancied Sudanese teenager Abubaker Kaki failed to reach the final.
(Editing by Ed Osmond)
- Police hunt for motive as search for Malaysian jet spans hemispheres |
- Crimeans vote on union with Russia as Moscow pours in troops |
- Ukraine, Russia agree Crimea truce until March 21-Ukraine minister
- Malaysian PM says lost airliner was diverted deliberately |
- Democrats seek ways to limit Obamacare fallout after Florida defeat