Mackenzie Phillips arrested on drug charge
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Former "One Day at Time" television star Mackenzie Phillips was arrested on Wednesday morning at Los Angeles International Airport on suspicion of drug possession, police said.
Police arrested Phillips, the daughter of The Mamas & the Papas lead singer John Phillips, after she went through airport security screening.
"Following a secondary screening, she was found to be in possession of what appeared to be cocaine and heroin," said Sgt. Jim Holcomb of Los Angeles Airport Police.
Phillips possessed a "small amount" of drugs packaged in balloons and plastic bags, according to Holcomb.
She was immediately transported to the airport police station and later to the Los Angeles Police Department jail in Van Nuys, California. Phillips' bail was set at $10,000.
Phillips, 48, starred as Julie Romano in the CBS comedy "One Day at a Time" that ran from 1975 to 1984. She battled drug addiction during her time on the sitcom and was later fired from the show because of her drug abuse even after undergoing drug rehabilitation.
More recently, Phillips starred as a rock star mom in the Disney Channel series "So Weird."
- Alabama man gets $1,000 in police settlement, his lawyers get $459,000
- Two killed, four wounded in Washington state school shooting
- Two U.S. states to quarantine health workers returning from Ebola zones |
- NYC police say hatchet attack by Islam convert was terrorism |
- 'We won't pay,' furious Cameron tells EU over surprise bill |