- Taxes on some wealthy French top 100 pct of income: paper
- Shooting death of gay man rocks New York's cradle of gay rights
- Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift big winners at Billboard Awards
- Imran Khan's party wins revote in Karachi, protests expected
- Hezbollah steps up Syria battle, Israel threatens more strikes |
German butcher admonished for naked woman advert
BERLIN (Reuters) - Germany's national advertising council has admonished a butcher for putting on its adverts and delivery trucks pictures of a naked woman with the slogan "Meat Products, Fresh Service" stamped across her body.
The council said on Thursday that the adverts by G&M Fleischwaren Frischdienst (www.gm-fleisch.de) were degrading and anti-woman.
"Such an advert blatantly violates the council's codes on discrimination and degradation in advertising," the council said in a statement. "Equating a woman with fresh meat is degrading and highly misogynist."
The firm near Stuttgart has agreed to remove the slogan, but is keeping the woman, whose back and shoulders are visible.
A G&M spokeswoman defended the advertisement, saying the company did not see it as inappropriate after the controversial stamp was removed.
(Reporting by Josie Cox; editing by Andrew Roche)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this