Rays claim AL East title to cap turnaround
NEW YORK (Reuters) - The Tampa Bay Rays have completed a stunning turnaround by winning the American League East title a year after finishing last in their division.
The Rays claimed the crown when the New York Yankees defeated the Boston Red Sox 19-8 late on Friday to end Boston's hopes of catching Tampa Bay.
The Rays had lost to Detroit 6-4 earlier on Friday but the Yankees' win gave Tampa Bay the title with two days remaining in the regular season.
"(It) would have been nice to have won it on the field," Rays outfielder Cliff Floyd told reporters. "But any way you get in, you get in. You don't back in with 96 wins. We're here. Nobody wants to play us in the playoffs."
- Malaysia Airlines plane missing, presumed crashed in South China Sea |
- CORRECTED-UPDATE 4-Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard - report
- China draws 'red line' on North Korea, says won't allow war on peninsula
- Malaysian plane crashed off Vietnam coast: state media
- No signal picked up from missing Malaysia Airlines plane-Vietnam official