UPDATE 1-New York Sun shines for one more day
(Adds reports that the newspaper is closing)
NEW YORK, Sept 29 (Reuters) - The New York Sun, the daily newspaper started six years ago as a conservative-leaning alternative to The New York Times (NYT.N), will publish for one more day before shutting down, according to media reports.
Sun spokesman Michael Moi told several media blogs, including FishbowlNY and Portfolio.com's Mixed Media, that the paper will close up shop after publishing on Tuesday, but did not return telephone calls seeking comment on the paper's future.
Earlier on Monday, he told Reuters that the future of paper beyond Tuesday was uncertain. "There will be a newspaper tomorrow," he said.
He made the statement after media gossip blog Gawker.com reported that Monday, Sept. 29, would be the last day that the privately held newspaper publishes.
Sun editor Seth Lipsky earlier this month told readers that the company was seeking more money from investors as costs rise, advertising revenue falls and the paper continues to post losses. (Reporting by Robert MacMillan)
- Man called Bitcoin's father denies ties, leads LA car chase
- Apple loses bid for U.S. ban on Samsung smartphone sales
- UPDATE 6-Obama warns on Crimea, orders sanctions over Russian moves in Ukraine
- Florida mayor fights backyard gun ranges in 'Gunshine State'
- Putin rebuffs Obama as Ukraine crisis escalates |