UPDATE 2-Republican holds U.S. Senate seat in Mississippi
WASHINGTON Nov 4 (Reuters) - Republican incumbent Roger Wicker won the U.S. Senate race in Mississippi on Tuesday, beating back a strong challenge by Democrat Ronnie Musgrove, U.S. media projected.
Wicker, who had been appointed at the end of 2007 to fill the Senate seat vacated by retired Republican Sen. Trent Lott, will now serve the remaining four years of that six-year term. Democrats had hoped for an upset victory in this Southern state that has voted Republican in the last seven presidential elections.
- Ukraine seeks to join NATO; defiant Putin compares Kiev to Nazis |
- California passes 'yes-means-yes' campus sexual assault bill
- In town halls, U.S. lawmakers hear voter anger over illegal migrants |
- IBM launches Watson system for research, hopes for breakthroughs
- Family of instructor killed at Arizona gun range does not blame girl