UPDATE 2-Republican holds U.S. Senate seat in Mississippi
WASHINGTON Nov 4 (Reuters) - Republican incumbent Roger Wicker won the U.S. Senate race in Mississippi on Tuesday, beating back a strong challenge by Democrat Ronnie Musgrove, U.S. media projected.
Wicker, who had been appointed at the end of 2007 to fill the Senate seat vacated by retired Republican Sen. Trent Lott, will now serve the remaining four years of that six-year term. Democrats had hoped for an upset victory in this Southern state that has voted Republican in the last seven presidential elections.
- Police hunt for motive as search for Malaysian jet spans hemispheres |
- Crimeans vote over 90 percent to quit Ukraine for Russia |
- Ukraine, Russia agree Crimea truce until March 21-Ukraine minister
- Malaysian PM says lost airliner was diverted deliberately |
- Democrats seek ways to limit Obamacare fallout after Florida defeat