"Stone" rolling again at Fox
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - 20th Century Fox is "Romancing the Stone" again.
The studio is developing a remake of the 1984 adventure that turned TV mainstays Michael Douglas and Danny DeVito into movie stars and established Kathleen Turner as a romantic lead. It has hired Daniel McDermott ("Eagle Eye") to write the update.
The original movie, directed by Robert Zemeckis, told the story of a repressed romance novelist who travels to Colombia to find her missing sister only to meet up with an American soldier of fortune. The two embark on a cross-country adventure involving a map, a jewel and a private police force.
Diane Thomas wrote the script while working as a waitress in Malibu. It turned out to be her only produced screenplay; she died in a car crash the year after the film's release.
- Ukraine accuses Russia of 'open aggression' as rebels advance |
- Disruptive Hong Kong protests loom after China rules out democracy |
- European investors hold nerve as Russia-Ukraine warnings ratchet up
- Fighting erupts between Syrian army, rebels on Golan Heights |
- Pakistani protesters clash with police, soldiers secure state TV |