- Frenetic search for survivors as 91 feared dead in tornado-hit Oklahoma |
- Israel fires back at Syria after gunshots at its troops
- Drop in U.S. underground water levels has accelerated -USGS
- Dollar firms before Bernanke, inflation dip hits sterling |
- IRS officials back on Capitol Hill hot seat over targeting
A huge tornado tears through the Oklahoma City suburb of Moore, killing dozens. Slideshow
Welsh singer Duffy tops U.K. album sales
LONDON (Billboard) - Welsh singer Duffy has scored the biggest-selling album of 2008 in the U.K. with her debut set "Rockferry," which moved 1.7 million copies, according to the Official Charts Company.
The best new artist Grammy nominee's album beat off a late challenge from revived boy band Take That, which has sold almost 1.5 million copies of "The Circus" since December 1.
There were three other million-selling artists. Kings Of Leon's "Only By The Night" was third, followed by Leona Lewis' "Spirit" and Coldplay's "Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends."
Alexandra Burke, latest winner of TV music talent show "The X Factor," boasted the biggest-selling single of 2008 with her cover of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah." In two weeks, it has sold 888,000 copies. Duffy was third with sales of 536,000 copies of her "Mercy" single. In between was the "X-Factor" finalists' charity single "Hero" with 751,000 copies.
The "Mamma Mia" movie soundtrack was the biggest-selling compilation, with sales of just over one million copies.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this