- IRS official refuses to answer questions at scandal hearing |
- Global stocks, oil fall after Bernanke; dollar gains |
- Oklahoma tornado victims astounded at how they survived |
- CORRECTED-White House threatens veto of bill to bypass Obama on Keystone
- British soldier hacked to death in suspected Islamist attack
Young actresses cast for "Beezus and Ramona"
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - In a pairing designed to get tweens texting each other the news, young actresses Selena Gomez and Joey King have been cast as sisters in "Beezus and Ramona," a film adaptation of the "Ramona" book series by Beverly Cleary.
Gomez will play Beezus, the older sister to the energetic, accident-prone Ramona (King).
Elizabeth Allen ("Aquamarine") will direct a screenplay by Laurie Craig and Nick Pustay.
20th Century Fox has scheduled a March 19, 2010, release for the film.
Its Fox 2000 unit conducted a nationwide casting call for Ramona, and the role ultimately went to the 9-year-old King after a screen test. The young actress, who has been working since age 4, already has collected credits on the series "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation," "Medium," "Jericho" and "Entourage."
Gomez stars in Disney Channel's "The Wizards of Waverly Place" and is working on an album.
Cleary's popular "Ramona" books, published between 1955 and 1999, follow the childhood adventures of Ramona Geradline Quimby in Portland, Ore.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this