U.S. drops Guantanamo charges per Obama order
MIAMI (Reuters) - The Pentagon official overseeing the U.S. war crimes court at Guantanamo has dropped charges against a Saudi prisoner whose hearing had been set for Monday, a spokesman said on Thursday.
The charges against Abd al Rahim al Nashiri were dropped without prejudice, meaning they could be refiled later, said the spokesman, Navy Commander J.D. Gordon.
President Barack Obama had ordered the proceedings frozen to review pending cases. Nashiri is accused of plotting an attack on the American warship USS Cole that killed 17 U.S. sailors in the Yemeni port of Aden in 2000.
- Radar showed missing plane may have turned back: Malaysia military
- Malaysian jetliner may have turned back before vanishing |
- Malaysian plane presumed crashed; questions over false IDs |
- CORRECTED-UPDATE 4-Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard - report
- Malaysian jet's disappearance among rarest of aviation disasters