Lawmakers have votes for $789 billion stimulus: Baucus
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Senate and House of Representatives negotiators have the votes to approve a $789 billion economic stimulus compromise, Democratic Senator Max Baucus told reporters on Wednesday.
"The votes are there for passage," he told reporters during a lunch break. He said that the negotiators were "very close" to wrapping up and were doing some minor tinkering.
He said it was very possible that the House would vote on Thursday on the compromise and the Senate would follow on Friday, ahead of President Barack Obama's stated goal of getting the measure completed this weekend.
- Exclusive: Malaysia plane probe narrows on mid-air disintegration - source
- Radar showed missing plane may have turned back: Malaysia military
- Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air: source |
- Malaysian plane presumed crashed; questions over false IDs |
- Merkel raps Putin as Russian forces tighten grip on Crimea |