Eleven peackeepers killed in Somalia attack: AU
MOGADISHU (Reuters) - Insurgent attacks in Somalia's capital Mogadishu killed 11 peacekeepers from Burundi on Sunday and seriously wounded 15, the African Union said.
"The Burundian contingent of the AU mission in Somalia (AMISOM) has been under intense mortar attacks since February 17, 2009," the statement said.
"These attacks have reached today an unprecedented level, resulting in the killing of 11 Burundian soldiers, while 15 others have sustained serious injuries. Last Friday, another Burundian peacekeeper was killed."
- Washington, DC city council raises minimum wage to $11.50/hr in 2016
- China confirms near miss with U.S. ship in South China Sea
- India trims perks for U.S. staff in row over New York envoy arrest
- UPDATE 5-Mega Millions lottery winning tickets sold in California, Georgia -Officials
- Mega Millions lottery winning tickets sold in California, Georgia |
During Soviet times, Sochi gained a reputation for tolerance but the city's once vibrant gay scene has been shrinking as Russia prepares to host the 2014 Winter Games. Slideshow