Checklist: Starting a Sole Proprietorship
If you are thinking of starting a business as a sole proprietor, below is a checklist of steps to take before you open for business. Keep in mind that your sole proprietorship's start-up requirements might vary from the list below, depending on the specific type of business you are in, and where your business is located.
1. Decide on a business name for your sole proprietorship.
2. Search availability of your sole proprietorship's chosen business name, and for similarity to existing names.
3. Register your sole proprietorship's name (including as a "fictitious business name," if applicable).
4. Obtain business licenses and permits for your sole proprietorship from:
* The federal government.
* Your state government.
* Your local government.
A sole proprietorship offers the least amount of complication in terms of start-up requirements for the different business organizations (i.e. corporation, partnership, etc.) But, to ensure that your new sole proprietorship covers all legal bases and has the best chance for success before opening for business, you may wish to consult an experienced business attorney. To learn more visit here
- Hundreds still missing in deadly Korea ferry sinking |
- Separatists take armored vehicles, humiliating Ukraine forces |
- Ocean floor search for missing Malaysia plane cut short again
- BofA reports first quarterly loss since 2011 on lofty legal bill
- Wall Street gains on Yellen comments and Yahoo; BofA falls |