Monfils tumbles out of Monte Carlo Masters
MONTE CARLO (Reuters) - French ninth seed Gael Monfils went down 6-3 6-1 to Serb Janko Tipsarevic in the first round of the Monte Carlo Masters on Tuesday.
Monfils, a French Open semi-finalist last year, dropped serve five times and looked sloppy, crashing out after only 67 minutes.
Tipsarevic allowed his opponent to pick up only 12 points in the second set, setting up a second-round encounter with Italian Simone Bolelli.
Monfils said he was not too bothered by tight bandages wrapped around his knees.
"No (I was not bothered by the bandages). I'm playing with it and I'm getting used to it," he told reporters.
"They keep my knees very tight. I have pain when I take them off. In fact, my knees hurt when I climb the stairs."
Czech Tomas Berdych was also sent packing after a 1-6 6-3 6-3 defeat to Italian qualifier Fabio Fognini.
Fognini, who was a break down in the decider, won four games in a row to clinch victory.
(Reporting by Julien Pretot; editing by Pritha Sarkar)
- Housing, jobs data weaken, but overall economic picture still upbeat
- Last-minute Obamacare exemption for those with canceled plans
- U.S. diplomats, but not prosecutors, seek to quell India dispute |
- Target cyber breach hits 40 million payment cards at holiday peak |
- New York Mayor-elect's reputation for lateness parodied on Twitter