Reid welcomes Specter into Democratic Party
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid quickly embraced Arlen Specter as a fellow Democrat on Tuesday just minutes after Specter, a longtime Republican, said he would run for reelection next year as a Democrat.
"Yes," Reid told Reuters when asked if he now considered Specter a member of his party.
"I welcome Senator Specter and his moderate voice to our diverse caucus, and to continuing our open and honest debate about the best way to make life better for the American people," Reid said afterward in a statement.
(Reporting by Thomas Ferraro and Rick Cowan)
- South Korea expands air defense zone to partially overlap China's |
- Dynasty's Congress party punished in Indian state elections
- U.S. war veteran released by North Korea returns home |
- Thai PM proposes referendum on her future as protesters prepare big push
- Ukraine opposition rally keeps pressure on Yanukovich
Nelson Mandela: 1918 - 2013
Reuters looks at the life and times of Nelson Mandela, an icon of peace and reconciliation who came to embody the struggle for justice around the world. Video