Web fans mourn death of Spain's "blogging granny"
MADRID (Reuters) - A Spanish great-grandmother whose blog attracted tens of thousands of readers from around the world has died aged 97 in the northern Spanish province of La Coruna.
Maria Amelia Lopez charmed readers with a homely mix of memories and chat amis95.blogspot.com/, including stories of a long life that witnessed Spain's Civil War and years of dictatorship under General Francisco Franco.
Lopez, who dictated her entries to her grandson Daniel because she suffered from cataracts, became a nationally loved figure in Spain and met Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero.
"My grandson gave me this blog when I was 95 on December 23 2006 and my life changed," reads one of her entries. "Since that day I've had 1,570,784 visits from bloggers from 5 continents who have cheered up my old age."
A banner on her site read "Rest in Peace," with nearly 500 messages mourning her death.
- North Korea says Kim's powerful uncle dismissed for 'criminal acts'
- Thai PM calls snap election, protesters press on |
- Protesters fell Lenin statue, tell Ukraine's president 'you're next'
- Singapore hit by rare outbreak of rioting, 27 arrested |
- Venezuela's Maduro to raise pressure on business after local vote