- Microsoft unveils Xbox One with Spielberg, Activision tie-up
- Whole neighborhoods razed by Oklahoma tornado that killed 24 |
- White House threatens veto of bill to bypass Obama on Keystone
- Russia moves closer to jail terms for offending religion
- UPDATE 1-Regeneron, Sanofi asthma drug seen as potential game changer
Fleet Foxes nab Mojo award, Yoko Ono honoured
LONDON, June 11 |
LONDON, June 11 (Reuters) - U.S. band Fleet Foxes beat the likes of Leonard Cohen and Radiohead to land Mojo magazine's best live act award on Thursday.
The prize, voted for by readers of the music magazine, cements the Seattle-based quintet's reputation as "one of the greatest live bands in the world", organisers of the awards said.
But it was Fleet Foxes' only prize from three nominations.
Their debut album, released last year, lost out to veteran English rocker Paul Weller's "22 Dreams". The three-time Mojo award winner also beat records by Kings of Leon, Elbow and PJ Harvey and John Parish.
And Manchester group Elbow won the Mojo song of the year category with "One Day Like This", ahead of Fleet Foxes' "White Winter Hymnal".
The 2009 Mojo lifetime achievement award was presented to Yoko Ono, John Lennon's widow and a musician and artist in her own right.
"She may have been married to one of the most famous men in the world, but she also helped change music as we know it," said Mojo editor-in-chief Phil Alexander.
"She is a huge influence on modern music and this award recognises her inspirational qualities and ongoing questing."
British act Blur was honoured on the night, picking up the Mojo inspiration award ahead of its eagerly-anticipated reunion expected to take place later this month.
Mott the Hoople, the 1970s English rockers, were honoured with a Mojo Hall of Fame award after announcing in January that they would reform for live shows for the first time in 35 years.
Previous winners of the award have included The Specials, The Doors, Elton John, Madness and Arthur Lee.
Following is a full list of Mojo award winners:
- Breakthrough Act - White Lies
- Song Of the Year - Elbow (One Day Like This)
- Best Live Act - Fleet Foxes
- Best Album - Paul Weller (22 Dreams)
- Compilation Of The Year - Take Me To The River: A Southern Soul Story
- Vision Award - Joy Division
- Catalogue Award - Miles Davis (Kind Of Blue 50th Anniversary Edition)
- Classic Album Award - The Zombies (Odessey And Oracle)
- Maverick Award - Manic Street Preachers
- Hero Award - The Pretty Things
- Outstanding Contribution To Music - Joe Brown
- Roots Awards - Topic Records
- Classic Songwriter Award - Johnny Marr
- Mojo Medal - Chris Blackwell/Island Records
- Inspiration Award - Blur
- Icon Award - Phil Lynott
- Les Paul Award - Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top)
- Hall of Fame - Mott The Hoople
- Lifetime Achievement Award - Yoko Ono (Reporting by Mike Collett-White, editing by Paul Casciato)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this