Iran's Rezaie withdraws poll complaints: IRNA
TEHRAN (Reuters) - One of the three defeated candidates in Iran's disputed presidential election has withdrawn his complaints about the vote, the official IRNA news agency reported Wednesday.
Conservative Mohsen Rezaie, a former Revolutionary Guards head who finished third in the June 12 election according to official results, cited the country's sensitive political and security conditions as reasons for his decision.
"I see it as my responsibility to encourage myself and others to control the current situation," Rezaie was quoted as saying in a letter to Iran's top legislative body, the Guardian Council.
"Therefore I announce that I'm withdrawing my submitted complaints," said Rezaie, who had previously said he had won many more votes than the official tally showed.
The other two defeated candidates -- moderate former Prime Minister Mirhossein Mousavi and pro-reform cleric Mehdi Karoubi -- have demanded that the election be annulled.
Mousavi says the vote was rigged in favor of hardline President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, a charge rejected by authorities.
(Reporting by Zahra Hosseinian and Hossein Jaseb; writing by Fredrik Dahl; editing by Ralph Gowling)
- Exclusive: Radar data suggests missing Malaysia plane deliberately flown way off course - sources
- Lost passenger jet was diverted deliberately: Malaysian PM |
- Malaysia PM says lost plane's movements indicate a deliberate act
- UPDATE 2-Satellite data shows missing Malaysia plane may have flown thousands of miles-source
- UPDATE 1-Rolls-Royce concurs with Malaysia on missing jet's engine data