Starbucks local cafe pilot has alcohol, live music
* New Starbucks cafe pilot will have alcohol, live music
* If successful, pilot could expand
LOS ANGELES, July 16 (Reuters) - Starbucks Corp (SBUX.O) next week will open a new neighborhood cafe pilot store that will feature beer and wine, night-time hours and live entertainment such as music and poetry readings.
That Seattle cafe, called 15th Avenue Coffee and Tea, takes its name from its street address and borrows heavily from neighborhood coffee shops.
A Starbucks spokeswoman said the cafe and any others that follow, would return to making espresso drinks by hand and sell products without the Starbucks logo.
The coffee chain, which has been slashing costs and closing hundreds of poorly performing Starbucks outlets amid a long recession, said the first pilot store is a renovated Seattle Starbucks that was slated to be shuttered by year end.
- Ukraine seeks to join NATO; defiant Putin compares Kiev to Nazis |
- California passes 'yes-means-yes' campus sexual assault bill
- In town halls, U.S. lawmakers hear voter anger over illegal migrants |
- IBM launches Watson system for research, hopes for breakthroughs
- Family of instructor killed at Arizona gun range does not blame girl