Zachary Gordon cast as "Wimpy Kid"
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Zachary Gordon has nabbed the title role in "Diary of a Wimpy Kid," the big-screen adaptation of Jeff Kinney's best-selling illustrated novels. Chloe Moretz is in negotiations for the female lead.
"Wimpy Kid" follows the travails of smart-aleck middle-school student Greg Heffley (Gordon) during an academic year.
Moretz will play an intense student with a wry sense of humor who dresses in all black.
Rachel Harris ("The Hangover") has been cast as Gordon's mother.
The "Wimpy Kid" stories were told in a diary and cartoon format; more than 16 million copies are in print.
Thor Freudenthal is directing the Fox 2000 project, which is scheduled for an April 2 release. Jeff Filgo & Jackie Filgo and Jeff Judah & Gabe Sachs wrote the screenplay.
A relative newcomer, Gordon has appeared in such films as "National Treasure: Book of Secrets" and "The Brothers Bloom," guest-starred on CBS' "How I Met Your Mother" and done voice work for the Nickelodeon series "Bubble Guppies."
Moretz appears in "(500) Days of Summer" and plays Hit Girl in "Kick-Ass," Matthew Vaughn's adaptation of the Mark Millar comic book.
(Editing by Sheri Linden at Reuters)
- Man called Bitcoin's father denies ties, leads LA car chase
- Ukraine standoff intensifies, Russia says sanctions will 'boomerang' |
- Florida mayor fights backyard gun ranges in 'Gunshine State'
- Apple loses bid for U.S. ban on Samsung smartphone sales
- 'Everything is fine', Pistorius told guard after shooting girlfriend |