UK's Darling to meet bank chiefs again in Sept-spokesman
LONDON, July 27
LONDON, July 27 (Reuters) - British finance minister Alistair Darling will meet the chief executives of the country's major banks again in September to discuss progress on bank lending, a Treasury spokesman said on Monday.
Darling met bank chiefs earlier on Monday to urge them to lend more to small businesses.
"There will be another meeting in September," a Treasury spokesman said.
In the meantime, Treasury minister Paul Myners will conduct regular meetings with bank chiefs to press the government's case.
Britain's government has spent billions of pounds propping up the banking system and is under pressure to show its taxpayer-funded bailouts are benefiting the broader economy.
(Reporting by Christina Fincher; Editing by Victoria Main)
- U.S. man sues soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo over CR7 trademark
- Moscow fights back after sanctions; battle rages near Ukraine crash site |
- Wall St. tumbles; S&P below 50-day moving average
- Netanyahu vows to complete Gaza tunnels destruction |
- Argentina defaults but investors see eventual deal possible |