China's power generating capacity tops 800 GW: report
BEIJING (Reuters) - China's installed power generating capacity exceeds 800 million killowatts (800 gigawatts) with a new hydropower generator coming on line, state media reported on Sunday.
That puts China just over halfway toward its target of 1,600 gigawatts of installed power generating capacity by 2020.
The latest addition came from the no. 6 generator at Laxiwa Hydropower Station, the country's largest hydropower station on the Yellow River, which has started running, Xinhua news agency reported.
(Reporting by Simon Rabinovitch)
- Sierra Leone's chief Ebola doctor contracts the virus
- Gaza bloodshed deepens as airlines shun Israel |
- Ukraine rebel commander acknowledges fighters had BUK missile
- TransAsia Airways plane crashes in typhoon-hit Taiwan, killing 47 |
- South Korea ferry fugitive hid behind cabin wall, bags of cash at hand