South Korea says supports U.S. talks with North

SEOUL Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:04am EDT

North Koreans offer flowers to a statue of state founder Kim Il-sung to commemorate the 61st anniversary of the founding of the state, in Pyongyang September 9, 2009, in this picture released by North Korea's official news agency KCNA. REUTERS/KCNA

North Koreans offer flowers to a statue of state founder Kim Il-sung to commemorate the 61st anniversary of the founding of the state, in Pyongyang September 9, 2009, in this picture released by North Korea's official news agency KCNA.

Credit: Reuters/KCNA

SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korea said on Saturday it would support direct talks between the United States and North Korea so long as they were aimed at advancing multilateral negotiations on ending Pyongyang's nuclear programs.

The U.S. State Department had said on Friday it was prepared to hold such talks to try to coax North Korea back to the six-party talks involving the two Koreas, China, the United States, Japan and Russia.

Previously, U.S. officials had sent mixed signals about direct meetings, at times saying Pyongyang must first commit to resume the multilateral discussions and at others saying bilateral talks could only occur "in the context" of the multilateral discussions.

"We are prepared to enter into a bilateral discussion with North Korea," State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley told reporters on Friday.

The department denied changing its policy, saying any bilateral meeting would be to bring Pyongyang back to multilateral talks.

"When it'll happen, where it'll happen, we'll have to wait and see," Crowley added. "We've made no decisions at this point, other than just to say we are prepared for a bilateral talk, if that will help advance the six-party process."

In Seoul, foreign ministry spokesman Moon Tae-young said on Saturday: "We have the same position on the issue. South Korea will not oppose U.S.-North Korea bilateral talks if they are held to advance the six-party talks to resolve the North Korea nuclear issue."

North Korea agreed in September 2005 to abandon its nuclear programs in an aid-for-disarmament agreement hammered out among the six parties.

The process has unfolded in fits and starts, with North Korea taking some steps to disable its nuclear facilities but also testing a nuclear device in 2006 and again in May, leading the others to question its commitment to the deal.

The six-party talks broke down at the end of last year, with the North declaring the process "dead." The Obama administration is searching for a way to revive them.

"The bilateral talks will signify a breakthrough (in) the standstill six-party negotiations," Dongkuk University professor of North Korea studies Koh Yu-hwan told Reuters.

"Washington came to the decision on the belief that any further ignoring of the issue would only give time for North Korea to develop more nuclear weapons."

U.S. officials believe the multilateral talks have the best chance of persuading North Korea to give up its nuclear ambitions chiefly because their host, China, has greater influence over North Korea than does the United States.

The State Department's Crowley said it was unlikely bilateral talks would take place before the U.N. General Assembly this month. He declined to say whether U.S. special envoy Stephen Bosworth might accept the North's invitation to visit Pyongyang.

(Additional reporting by Arshad Mohammed in WASHINGTON; Writing by Jerry Norton; Editing by Sugita Katyal)

Comments (0)
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.

Full focus