Statement of John W. Wilhelm, President of UNITE HERE International Union, at AFL-CIO...
* Reuters is not responsible for the content in this press release.
Statement of John W. Wilhelm, President of UNITE HERE International Union, at AFL-CIO Convention, Pittsburgh Pennsylvania PITTSBURGH, Sept. 17 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The following is a statement of John W. Wilhelm, President of UNITE HERE International Union: UNITE HERE is re-joining the AFL-CIO effective today. Our 265,000 members belong in the House of Labor. We are at a turning point in American history with the most pro-worker President in our lifetimes who, with labor's help, is attempting against great odds to rebalance an economy unfairly weighted in favor of the rich and powerful. Labor was unified in the 2008 campaign, regardless of affiliation. We should build on those beginnings. Unification talks are continuing. While every union will make its own decision, we hope the labor movement continues to move towards total unity. John Sweeney devoted his life to the labor movement, and was a steadfast supporter of our Union. Our return to the AFL-CIO coincides with the election of Richard Trumka. In UNITE HERE, we know what a fighter for workers Rich Trumka is, and we pledge to stand with him and fight with him to get workers what they deserve: a piece of the American dream. Solidarity will always overcome division. Because of that backing, our Union will continue to be a strong and growing member in the House of Labor. SOURCE UNITE HERE Pilar Weiss of UNITE HERE, +1-702-610-0200, email@example.com
- Putin dissolves state news agency, tightens grip on Russia media
- North Korea says Kim's powerful uncle dismissed for 'criminal acts'
- Thai PM calls snap election, protesters want power now |
- Record cold, ice grip U.S.; more snow to blanket East
- Protesters fell Lenin statue, tell Ukraine's president 'you're next'