FACTBOX-Security developments in Iraq, Sept 24
Sept 24 (Reuters) - Following are security developments in Iraq at 1230 GMT on Thursday.
* indicates a new or updated item.
* MOSUL - Two police were killed in an attack at a checkpoint in a crowded section of downtown Mosul, police said. Mosul is 390 km (240 miles) north of Baghdad.
TIKRIT - Sixteen inmates, five of them are sentenced to death for insurgent activties, escaped from a prison in the city of Tikrit, 150 km (95 miles) north of Baghdad, on Wednesday night, police said. Only one of the men who escaped has since been captured, police said.
MOSUL - Gunmen killed a policeman in his home in western Mosul, police said.
- South Korea expands air defense zone to partially overlap China's |
- Four dead in apparent Connecticut murder-suicide
- Dynasty's Congress party punished in Indian state elections
- U.S. war veteran released by North Korea returns home |
- Ukrainian protesters topple Lenin statue in challenge to Yanukovich